[DL] Brief survey on theory of computation courses

Maria Keet keet at ukzn.ac.za
Mon Mar 19 08:27:33 CET 2012

Dear All,

There are multiple stories going around through the grapevine about
Theory of Computation courses, from it being threatened to be removed
from informatics/computer science degree programmes, to bureaucratic
issues due to relatively low pass rates, to textbooks begin taken out of
print due to low demand, to (re)new(ed) inclusion in degree programmes
to increase the level of CS graduates.

We have been collecting data on Theory of Computation course offerings
around the world, and would like to gain insight in the context of, and
sentiment behind, it, and therewith go beyond the stage of anecdotes
about the course. To this end, we have set up a quick, 5-10 minute,
survey at
http://limesurvey.cs.ukzn.ac.za/index.php?sid=25189&lang=en
and we would be grateful if you'd take the time to share your opinion on
Theory of Computation. The survey is open from March 16 to April 1.
Participation is anonymous, and results will be analyzed and made public
afterward.

Best regards,
Nelishia and Maria

Dr. Maria Keet
Prof.Dr. Nelishia Pillay
School of Mathematics, Statistics, and Computer Science
University of KwaZulu-Natal
Durban, South Africa
http://www.cs.ukzn.ac.za