[DL] Semantics of Number restriction: small issue (?)

Umberto Straccia umberto.straccia at isti.cnr.it
Fri Mar 9 18:39:01 CET 2012

More specifically,  the standard set theoretic semantics of e.g.,

(\geq n R)

i.e.,

(\geq n R)^I = \{ x | #\{ y \in \Delta^I | (x,y) \in R^I \} \geq n\}

where we usually write that #S is the "cardinality of S" may be somewhat troubling (unless we use of continuum hypothesis, axioms of choice ...).

If we look at the FOL rewriting of concept (\geq n R),

(\geq n R)(x) = \exists_n y. R(x,y)

then I suggest the equivalent set theoretic expression

(\geq n R)^I = \{ x | \exists S \subset \{ y \in \Delta^I | (x,y) \in R^I \} such that #S = n\}

Have a nice weekend,

	-Umberto Straccia