[DL] 2 tenure track positions in AI @ Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam

Mark Hoogendoorn m.hoogendoorn at vu.nl
Tue Mar 23 13:21:43 CET 2021

At the Department of Computer Science of the Vrije Universiteit
Amsterdam we have two new tenure track positions available in the domain
of AI. The application deadline is April 30th for both positions. Please
find a brief description of the positions below including a link to a
more detailed vacancy description.

*Assistant Professor in Machine Learning (tenure track)
*

We are looking for a new assistant professor who will collaboratively
contribute to research and teaching in the area of machine learning
(ML). The position is embedded in the Quantitative Data Analytics group.
The group focuses on both fundamental and application-driven research in
ML. We are looking for candidates with experience in the area of machine
learning, with a special preference for those having expertise in one or
more of the following areas: data-efficient ML methods, explainability
of ML methods, and the utilization of domain knowledge in ML. We are
interested in attracting an active researcher, able to perform
ground-breaking research and to apply this research in relevant societal
domains, including health-related analytics. On top, the candidate
should be passionate about teaching.

For more details, see
https://workingat.vu.nl/ad/tenure-track-assistant-professor-machine-learning/8kur3v

*Assistant or Associate Professor in AI & Health (tenure track)
*

The potential of techniques from Artificial Intelligence for improved
patient care is widely recognized. However, the number of applications
that make it to the patient or clinician remains low. One of the causes
of this gap is that clinicians and AI experts often speak a different
language. To try and bridge the gap between the two disciplines the
Amsterdam UMC (AUMC) and Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam (VU) are joining
forces and are creating a joint position between the Cancer Center
Amsterdam of the Amsterdam UMC and the Department of Computer Science at
the Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam.

The position will focus on the use and re-use of structured and
semi-structured clinical data (opposed to medical imaging or
bioinformatics) to deploy and improve machine learning techniques to
develop clinically relevant models, mainly (but not exclusively)
targeting predictive modeling and personalization of healthcare. Besides
purely data-driven approaches, making a combination with the vast amount
of domain knowledge present in the medical domain is also in scope.

We are looking for a colleague with a cutting expertise to maintain our
stream of high quality publications in this area, acquire external
research grants, conduct excellent teaching, and act as a bridge builder
between the two involved institutes.

For more details, see
https://werkenbij.vu.nl/ad/assistant-associate-professor-in-ai-and-health-f-m/zxjo0t

Best regards,

Mark

---

Mark Hoogendoorn

Full Professor of Artificial Intelligence
Chair Quantitative Data Analytics Group

Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam
Faculty of Science, Department of Computer Science

T +31 20 59 87772 | M +31 6 539 22626
E m.hoogendoorn at vu.nl <mailto:m.hoogendoorn at vu.nl> | URL
www.cs.vu.nl/~mhoogen/ <http://www.cs.vu.nl/~mhoogen/>
MAILING ADDRESS: De Boelelaan 1111, 1081 HV Amsterdam
VISITING ADDRESS: NU-10A87