[DL] Mapping words or utterances (in natural language) to ontology concepts

Sebastien Ferre Sebastien.Ferre at irisa.fr
Mon Sep 9 18:31:28 CEST 2013

Hi,

as your first motivation is not reasoning but mapping from
natural language to a formal language, you might consider
SPARQL as a target language. SPARQL 1.1 is very expressive
and allows for the expression of factual statements (as updates),
and all sorts of queries using expressions, aggregations,
Boolean operators, etc.

I work on a translator from controlled English (SQUALL) to SPARQL 1.1.
Web forms for translation and direct querying of SPARQL endpoints
are available from this page:

http://www.irisa.fr/LIS/softwares/squall

It might give you some idea of what is possible. It's only
for controlled English and the online version uses no lexicon
(qnames must be used for words), but I think it covers a pretty
large fragment of NL. A future version will allow to improve
naturalness by feeding in a lexicon (e.g., for DBpedia).

Your first example can be turned into a SQUALL question:

 > Which person has at least 2 son-s and at most 5 daughter-s ?
(assuming 'person' is a class, and 'son' and 'daughter' are properties)

Your second example, assuming a small extension not yet available
online, can be expressed as:

 > Which person has the number of son-s / the number of child-s greater
than 1 / 3 ?
(assuming 'child' is a super-property of 'son' and 'daughter')

Using an ad-hoc lexicon would make it easy to translate the nouns
'son' and 'daughter' as a combination of the property 'child', and
the classes 'male' and 'female', like in your example.

Regards,
Sébastien