[DL] Decision problems of DL vs. FOL

Thomas Schneider schneidt at cs.man.ac.uk
Wed Jun 2 23:51:26 CEST 2010

On 2 Jun 2010, at 13:46, Steve W wrote:

> If I understand correctly, DL handles only unary and binary
> predicates -- is that supposed to be a limitation?

It is; together with other restrictions, see below ...

> Any n-ary predicates can be encoded as binary ones, e.g.,
> F(a,G(b,c)), right?

This is true, but binary predicates can't be used in DLs arbitrarily.
The only way to use them in the basic DL ALC is in guards of
quantifiers such as \exists y (R(x,y) \land C(y)) and nested versions
of this kind of expression. You have more ways of using roles (which
represent binary predicates) in more expressive DLs, but if you allow
their full use, you'd have to allow arbitrarily many variables to be
quantified over, and already the 3-variable fragment of FOL is
undecidable.

(Disclaimer: I admit that some features in more expressive yet still
decidable DLs require more than three variables in the standard
translation, but those are used in such a controlled way that the
target fragment is again restricted enough and more or less well-
behaved.)

> But, can any FOL formula be translated to DL?

No. The fragment obtained by translating any of the commonly used DLs
into FOL is strictly smaller than FOL; for ALC it's the guarded
fragment restricted to 2 variables.

Section 4.2 has some of this information and more ...

Cheers

Thomas