[DL] question about the description logic EL

Yvonne Violet Shashoua yvshashoua at gmail.com
Tue May 6 21:50:37 CEST 2008

   I was reading the Description Logic Handbook, and in the appendix, on
page 535, they mention the description logic EL, which they say allows
intersection of concepts and existential quantification.  But it is not
clear to me from the context whether they mean only limited existential
quantification (where the only role allowed after the dot is TRUE) or full
existential quantification.  This affects whether EL is a restriction of AL
or a completely separate description logic.  I would love some help with
understanding this.  Thanks.