[DL] decidability

Enrico Franconi franconi at inf.unibz.it
Fri Dec 28 10:35:01 CET 2007

As you point out, given a logic, a reasoning problem (like
satisfiablity of concepts, subsumption between concepts, or knowledge
base satisfiability) may be or may be not decidable. For expressive
logics all the above standard reasoning problems are mutually
reducible, and specifically they are reducible into KB satisfiability,
which is used as the reference problem for the logic. So, with some
degree of imprecision, we may generically say that a DL is undecidable
if its KB sat problem is undecidable. Given a logic, in order to prove
undecidability of its KB sat problem (and therefore of all of its
standard reasoning problems), usually you provide the encoding of each
instance of an already known undecidable problem (e.g., some tiling
problem) in a corresponding KB sat instance (i.e., an ontology) which
is satisfable if and only if the corresponding instance of the
undecidable problem has a solution.
cheers
--e.