[DL] Which temporal DL to use?

Arthur van Bunningen bunninge at cs.utwente.nl
Thu Jul 22 16:23:40 CEST 2004

Dear all,

First I want to say hello to everyone on the list. I just started my PhD on
context modeling and reasoning with respect to databases and for a formal
(decidable) specification I find that Description Logics have some
interesting features which I want to look into (which is the reason for
joining this list).

When reasoning about (history of) the context of a user, time plays a very
important part. For a start the idea is that events have an interval in which
they occur and based on temporal relations information should be be inferred.
The problem is the large number of methods which exist in DL to reason about
time (see [1] and I quickly looked at the latest paper of Lutz)

Some examples of what I want to model are:
"Events which happened yesterday after my meeting with Peter but before
lunch." or
"All co-occurrences of events the last year in which I looked at a painting
and moved my left foot." or (but in this one I maybe ask to much)
"All cinemas I can reach before 20:00, considering the current time and
traveling speed"

The question is not how to model these examples (although suggestions are
welcome of course :) ) but if there exists a decidable temporal extension of
DL in which they can be modeled. And, if there exist multiple, which is the
most promising one to concentrate on to make findings in this area the most
usable for others?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Regards,

Arthur

[1]  Artale, Alessandro and Franconi, Enrico A survey of temporal extensions
of description logics, Annals of Mathematics and Artificial Intelligence,
30:171-210, 2000

--
Ir. A.H. van Bunningen - PhD Student, Data Management Technology
Univ. of Twente, Dept of EEMCS, POBox 217, 7500 AE Enschede, Netherlands