[DL] Knowledge Engineering Scientist Job

John Goodwin John.Goodwin at ordnancesurvey.co.uk
Fri Jul 16 17:03:57 CEST 2004

Please feel free to mail me off list for further info.
Regards,
John

Knowledge Engineering Scientist Post				Southampton
Salary up to £28k dependent on skills and experience
Ordnance Survey as Britain's national mapping agency is a dynamic growing business at the forefront of location based information. One of the UK's strongest brand names we underpin £100 billion worth of business in UK each year.
Ordnance Survey's Research & Innovation Group conducts a vibrant, innovative research programme that includes spatial cognition, knowledge representation and manipulation, spatio-temporal data modelling, remote sensing, generalisation and emerging technologies.
In order to underpin efficient data and information conflation and ultimately to support development of a semantic web we are investigating the explicit representation and manipulation of topographic knowledge through ontologies and reasoning engines.  The research requires the addition of an expert with an AI or Cognitive sciences to act as a key addition to the existing team.
We are looking for an experienced research scientist with a postgraduate degree in the field of AI or Cognitive science or related subjects applied to the area of knowledge representation and manipulation.  Experience of AI languages such as LISP, Prolog, KIF and logic languages such as First Order, Frame or Description logics is essential.    It would be an advantage to have some experience of Geographic Information science and geographic information systems but this is not essential.
As a central team member you will be expected to develop and influence research direction and to bring with you and develop a network of research contacts.   The promotion and communication of your research, including publication, is important and requires you to be a confident public speaker with good written and spoken communication skills.    You may from time to time be required to direct other research staff, act as a supervisor for PhD students and direct externally contracted research.
Interested?  Then we'd like to hear from you.  Please send your CV and covering letter telling us about the skills you could bring to the job and current salary details, quoting ref KNE7/04 to recruitment at ordnancesurvey.co.uk <mailto:recruitment at ordnancesurvey.co.uk> or to Recruitment Team, Room W416, Ordnance Survey, Romsey Road, SOUTHAMPTON, SO16 4GU.
Closing date: 30 July 2004

This email is only intended for the person to whom it is addressed and may contain confidential information. If you have received this email in error, please notify the sender and delete this email which must not be copied, distributed or disclosed to any other person.
Unless stated otherwise, the contents of this email are personal to the writer and do not represent the official view of Ordnance Survey. Nor can any contract be formed on Ordnance Survey's behalf via email. We reserve the right to monitor emails and attachments without prior notice.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Ordnance Survey
Romsey Road
Southampton SO16 4GU