[DL] JAIR article

Steve Minton Steve.Minton at fetch.com
Wed May 21 23:33:04 CEST 2003

Readers of this list may be interested in this recently published JAIR
article.

Patel-Schneider, P.F. and Sebastiani, R. (2003)
  "A New General Method to Generate Random Modal Formulae for Testing
Decision Procedures",
   Volume 18, pages 351-389.

   Available in PDF, PostScript and compressed PostScript.
   For quick access via your WWW browser, use this URL:
     http://www.jair.org/abstracts/patelschneider03a.html
   More detailed instructions are below.

   Abstract: The recent emergence of heavily-optimized modal decision
   procedures has highlighted the key role of empirical testing in this
   domain.  Unfortunately, the introduction of extensive empirical tests
   for modal logics is recent, and so far none of the proposed test
   generators is very satisfactory.  To cope with this fact, we present a
   new random generation method that provides benefits over previous
   methods for generating empirical tests.  It fixes and much generalizes
   one of the best-known methods, the random CNF_[]m test, allowing for
   generating a much wider variety of problems, covering in principle the
   whole input space.  Our new method produces much more suitable test
   sets for the current generation of modal decision procedures.  We
   analyze the features of the new method by means of an extensive
   collection of empirical tests.

The article is available via:

 -- comp.ai.jair.papers (also see comp.ai.jair.announce)

 -- World Wide Web: The URL for our World Wide Web server is
       http://www.jair.org/
    For direct access to this article and related files try:
       http://www.jair.org/abstracts/patelschneider03a.html

 -- Anonymous FTP from Carnegie-Mellon University (USA):
            ftp://ftp.cs.cmu.edu/project/jair/volume18/patelschneider03a.ps
    The compressed PostScript file is named patelschneider03a.ps.Z (422K)

For more information about JAIR, visit our WWW or FTP sites, or
contact jair-ed at isi.edu