[DL] Guidance on applying DL

K. V. Viswanathan kv_viswana at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 17 15:47:22 CET 2003

Hi,

I am almost completely new to the field of DL and am
looking for advice.

I have a problem requiring KR and inference in the
field of planning. I have read some of the
introductory chapters from the forthcoming DL
handbook.

I need to represent facts and many causal links such
as "A affects B" or "an increase in A will cause a
decrease in B" and the like. Armed with such a
knowledge base, I then need to study the impact of
adding new facts into the KB.

Would the upcoming OWL (Web Ontology Language) be a
suitable candidate for this representation and
reasoning problem? Or should I be considering other
languages? Pointers to and links to useful readings
that will enable me to come up to speed will also be
much welcome.

Thanks,

K. V. Viswanathan