[DL] PostDoc positions in Linz

windsteiger wolfgang Wolfgang.Windsteiger at risc.uni-linz.ac.at
Tue Nov 26 13:25:17 CET 2002

Dear colleagues in the international symbolic computation community,

a new research institute for computational mathematics will soon be started in Austria, see announcement below.  Under the initiative of my colleague, Professor Heinz Engl, I helped planning this institute. Today I am happy to inform you that Symbolic Computation will be an important area within this new institute.

Please help to establish strong activities in the area of Symbolic Computation in this new institute by kindly distributing the announcement below to potential candidates.

Thank you and best regards,   Bruno Buchberger.

-------------

POSTDOC AND SENIOR POSTDOC (GROUP LEADER) POSITIONS
AT THE

JOHANN RADON INSTITUTE FOR COMPUTATIONAL AND APPLIED MATHEMATICS
(RICAM)

OF THE AUSTRIAN ACADEMY OF SCIENCES, AUSTRIA

RICAM is a research institute going into operation on January 1, 2003,
and will be gradually built up to a total of 25 postdoc positions in five
areas:

Scientific Computing - Computational Methods for Direct Field Problems
(Prof.Ulrich Langer, langer at numa.uni-linz.ac.at)

Scientific Computing - Inverse Problems (Prof.Heinz Engl,
engl at indmath.uni-linz.ac.at)

Symbolic Computation (Prof.Bruno Buchberger,
bruno.buchberger at risc.uni-linz.ac.at)

Analysis of Partial Differential Equations (Prof.Peter Markowich,
peter.markowich at univie.ac.at)

Financial Mathematics (Prof.Gerhard Larcher, gerhard.larcher at jku.at;
Prof.Walter Schachermayer, wschach at fam.tuwien.ac.at).

In addition to ongoing research, which will be partly interdisciplinary
between the areas mentioned, there will be an international visitors'
program in the form of special semesters on application fields.
The institute will be housed on the campus of the Johannes Kepler
Universität in Linz, a town of about 200.000 on the Danube, very close to
the Austrian Alps, and half-way between Vienna and Salzburg.
We are looking for PostDocs with a strong interest in one of the fields
above, who are also willing to work in an interdiscplinary environment; doctorate
in mathematics or a closely related field required. In addition, we are
also looking for Senior Postdocs, who could lead a group and would also be
expected to attract additional funding; they should have a substantial
publication record beyond the doctorate. The working language will be
English. The positions are initially for up to three years, one renewal
for three more years is possible depending on achievement.
Please send applications with personal and scientific data, copies of
relevant documents and a statement about scientific interests and
achievements to

Prof. Heinz W. Engl
Director, RICAM
Austrian Academy of Sciences
c/o Kepler University
A-4040 Linz
Austria

and a copy to the area leader in whose group you want to work. There is no
deadline, the announcement remains open until all positions are filled; we
expect to be able to fill the first position on March 1, 2003.

Bruno Buchberger, Dr phil, DDr hc
Professor of Computer Mathematics
Research Institute for Symbolic Computation
Johannes Kepler University, A4232 Castle of Hagenberg, Austria
Phone office: ++43 732 2468 9921
Mobile Phone: ++43 664 4211646
Fax:   ++43 732 2468 9930
E-mail:  Buchberger at RISC.Uni-Linz.ac.at
WWW: http://www.risc.uni-linz.ac.at/people/buchberg/